Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Baby Steps

I am reminded of a movie, "What About Bob", staring Bill Murray and Richard Dreyfus. Bill (of course) is a neurotic New Yorker struggling with a host of paralyzing phobias who relies on his pompous shrink (Dreyfus) for everything, calling him hourly and following him on his vacation. The shrink had written a booked called "Baby Steps" and was encouraging "Bob" to take baby steps to move on with his life.

That's what I feel like I've been doing in Montana. Every day is another baby step towards getting something accomplished. And it's continually slowed down by the weather, the contractor who never shows up, the lack of money (or more appropriately, the mounting expenses), etc.

For example -- my efforts to finally get a source of DSL in my house. First, I tried my existing AT&T Sierra Wireless stick, but I couldn't get any reception from AT&T (I was told AT&T does not service Montana, and I believe that is true). So I changed my cell phone to Verizon, and purchased their broadband wireless stick, which I immediately found out didn't get any reception from my house either. My first "baby step". So I returned the wireless (but not before paying a $35 "restocking" fee).

My next "baby step" was to get a flyer in my mail for "naked DSL" (meaning you don't need to have a land line to reach DSL and the Internet) from CenturyTel, the local phone company. So I immediately called and signed up for the service, being told that if I had a wireless router, I would be fine.

The technician (supposedly) did what he needed to do outside my house -- I wouldn't know as I didn't see him. But I did attempt to hook up my wireless router, and noticed immediately that the cord that came from the phone jack, was not the right size for my router (the phone company girl assured me all I needed to do was plug the phone cord into the router). So I called the help line, and they said I also needed a modem (you would think I would know these things, having worked 28 years for IBM -- but I don't). I called another number and ordered a combination model/wireless router from CenturyTel. Another "baby step".

Yesterday the modem/router arrived, so today I followed the instructions, put the CD into my computer, etc., etc. It appeared I was connected to CenturyTel, but didn't have any connection to the Internet. So again, called the help desk. He said something outside wasn't right, so he put in a request for a technician to come back to my house and fix whatever was wrong. My latest "baby step".

So right now I've been sitting in the local coffee shop, drinking my diet coke, and using their Internet -- as I have done every day for 2 weeks. I'm hoping this is my final "baby step".

Since it has been a while since I wrote, let me give you a quick synopsis on my activities thus far. The movers finally showed up with my "stuff" -- 3 days late. And that was June 10. Remember Delores and I arrived on May 31, thinking my things could arrive on June 4. Wishful thinking on my part.

It was a fun day of moving -- the driver, George, was great, and he had hired two strong guys from United Van Lines to help unload. They all did a great job. We pretty much blocked off the road and made everyone drive into the ditch to get by the large van. Even my truck got into the action as a shuttle between the moving van and my house.

My agent, Kate Jones, showed up and was a fabulous help. She became another mover, and George even paid her $20 at the end of the day. Kate really worked hard, and that was much appreciated.

My friends Jane and Jack Clapp were also on hand to help. They came about lunch time, and called to see who wanted sandwiches. The movers were most happy as many times they don't get lunch. And since they all came in the huge 18-wheeler, there was no going to town for lunch.

Now Jane and Jack took another approach to helping. I had purchased a new refrigerator, and the doors needed to be switched to open on the opposite side. So Jane and Jack took on that task. Remember......they are both attorney's turned cattle ranchers. So it was like, "How many attorneys does it take to read some directions and do what I was told is a very easy process?" Well it took 2 attorneys and 1 plumber. The plumber was out that morning putting in a new water filter so my faucets stopped clogging up (remember.....another "baby step"), and he also ran the water line to the ice maker. Jack and Jane roped poor Mike into using his tools and helping them for a bit. The good news is that the doors were changed and it's much more convenient for opening the doors -- it's just the covers over the hinges and wires on the top of the refrigerator don't seem to want to fit right. Oh well.....

And after a long day of moving (and I had not eaten a thing -- I was too nervous), Jack, Jane, Kate, and I went to the local Mexican restaurant and I stuffed my self with enchiladas.

There have been a string of repairmen in the home since then. First, when Delores and I were waiting for the refrigerator to be delivered, Delores discovered that 2 of the wall heaters were not working. And we had a leak in the washer, and the grouting had not been finished on the jet tub tile (that I paid $2100 to have fixed and tiled -- and I'll probably never use it). So the electrician arrived to look at the heaters -- repaired one and replaced one (although the repaired one doesn't want to work unless I take off the cover and keep hitting the reset button -- but I digress). Nathan seemed quite competent, and I'll have him back to replace the many light fixtures in the house (didn't like most of what they had installed).

I've already mentioned the plumber. After Mike, then came the fireplace/hearth repairman. It turns out my source of heat for the family room and my master bedroom comes from these gas fireplaces. If they don't work, I freeze. And Kate had smelled a gas leak in the bedroom, so she turned off the pilot -- and now I had nothing. The nice young guy from the fireplace company (his name was Titus -- unusual, don't you think?) found the leak, fixed it, cleaned the fireplace, and got it running off the thermostat. I also found out that the fireplace in the living room was actually a gas starter, which it appeared someone had taken. It will cost about $600+ to turn it into gas fireplace (so I don't have to deal with wood and start a fire every single morning during the winter). This feels more like a "medium step", not a baby step. Another expense -- but one that I don't need to pay until about September. Titus also checked the gas stove in the basement (my office) area, even though his company had not installed it. Thank goodness it is working fine.




(The $600 fireplace)





I don't know if I have mentioned the weather, but it has been raining almost non-stop since I arrived in Montana. And this is a normally dry state -- only getting 13.26 inches of rain a year (compare that with 51 inches per year in Georgia). I believe I've already had that at my house in the last month. And on Sunday, we had a hail storm with pouring rain.

So.....I sprung a leak. I like anything I own to be in good repair, so I really don't like water leaking through the seams of the door frame leading to the garage. The contractor was suppose to have put a gutter the full length of the house so the water would not pour down where the garage joins the house. This is what caused the garage to separate from the house (which the owner paid him to repair). He says he can't get it up because he doesn't have a 40 foot ladder. I checked what gutter I have, and sure enough it was clogged, so I cleaned that out. But the leak continued. So I called and left 2 messages, which he didn't return. I finally got him on the phone, and he was less than happy to be hearing from me. Funny how that works.

My next "baby step" may be to get a job (and I have sent out a resume to work in a gift shop in Glacier)!!!!! My house is now reminding me of the movie "The Money Pit" with Tom Hanks and Shelley Long (absolutely funny movie, if you haven't seen it). Every time they turn around, something else is falling off the house (literally), and when asked when it would be repaired, the contractor said "two weeks". I'm guessing you can figure out the punch line for that one.

I'm having to replace/repair many more things that I would have thought from the inspection. But hopefully my house and this adventure will end as beautifully as "The Money Pit". In the end, their house was beautiful, and they did remember they loved each other. I want my house to be a thing of beauty and joy, and I want to remember how much I love Montana.




(One of my new neighbors -- a young buck [and no, you can't shoot him])


















(My View of Kathy Lake)


















(The view from my house)

No comments: