Saturday, June 26, 2010

How is Montana different from Georgia?

I've been giving this topic some thought lately. The obvious difference (for me) is that it is far less hot and humid than Georgia. Got a note from a friend saying it was going to be about 98 degrees yesterday. Not saying it doesn't reach that temperature out here in the summer, but without the humidity, it doesn't feel that hot.

Secondly......the speed limits in Montana are faster than Georgia. Even on a 2 lane road, you will find speed limits of 70 MPH. And those roads are generally in good shape. Of course, the residents tend to drive slower in Montana than Georgia. If you had 2 lane roads with a 70 MPH speed limit in Georgia, drivers would be going 80-90 MPH. In Montana, you'll get on one of those roads, and the people are driving 55-60 MPH. And that's when the sun is out.

Georgia is normally more green and lush than Montana. Except for this year. I think I mentioned that Georgia gets (on average) 51 inches of rain each year, and Montana gets 13.25 inches. We've had that already. So this year, Montana is pretty green. And of course, I'm living with pine trees all around me, so I feel very "green".

And in Montana, there seems to be a rodeo every weekend!! I went to the Polson rodeo last night, and for the first time, I really felt I had made the right decision. Lots of local folks with their kids, listening to country music, wearing cowboy hats, and enjoying the bronc riding. I just loved being there last night. And I can do this every weekend.

I attended this this rodeo last year, and the highlight (again) was the "mutton busting" competition for the very little kids. They are dressed up in the cutest little chaps and cowboy hats -- I didn't know they made them that small. They even had 4 little girls (all dressed in pink) who tried to ride these sheep. It was incredibly cute and funny. I forgot my camera, but here are some pictures from last year.




Several "pick-up" riders herding one of those pesky sheep










Bull rider about to miss his "8 seconds"

No comments: