Sunday, April 15, 2012

Spring is coming to Glacier

I went on a wonderful hike in Glacier National Park on Wednesday -- walking down the "Going to the Sun" road, and along McDonald Creek, past McDonald Falls. My objective: to find Harlequin ducks that breed and nest in moving water.

The walk up the road was wonderful. I was thinking how lucky the animals were at this time of year -- total peace and quiet with no tourists. I saw some beautiful, mossy, wooded areas that just soothed my soul.

I didn't find any ducks, but I had a great hike and made 2 new friends in the process -- Janet and John Flury. I sometimes worry about myself, hiking alone, and Wednesday was one of those days. Bears are out of hibernation, and come to the lower areas to find food. And of course, I had forgotten my bear spray.

Workmen are rebuilding the bridge on North McDonald Creek Road (which I needed to cross to hike down to the falls), and as I realized this, I decided I should just turn around. Right at that time, Janet and John came walking out of the woods -- they had the same idea I did, so we all headed to the bridge, and the workmen let us cross.

I am always amazed at what a small world it can be, and this was no exception. I found out that Janet grew up in Toledo, Oh which is just an hour from Milan, OH which is my home town. Janet and John have a fairly large horse breeding operation outside of Chicago -- and of course, I am a horse person. So as horse people know, this led to a very enjoyable conversation.

As to Glacier.....most of the snow and ice is gone at the lower levels, and there were a large number of butterfly's flitting around McDonald creek and the bridge. The sun was out, and it was in the high 50's (always cooler at Glacier). It was a marvelous day with good company. We did see paw prints in the soft earth on the trail, so I was very glad I had company on my hike.

This was my first real hike for the year, and I know it was 5 miles +. And I know that by how much my ankles hurt when I got home! Since I plan to do more this summer, it is time to get in shape! And what a great place to do that.



(McDonald Falls)







No comments: