Thursday, April 12, 2012

POND SKIM -- Ending the Ski Season with a Splash!












I know, I know.......how many crazy winter time sports does Montana have? On April 7, it was the 7th annual "Pond Skim", held at the Whitefish Ski Resort at Big Mountain. And it WAS a lot of fun. It's always the last event of the ski season, as the resort closed winter operations on April 8.

I have previously written about my 2 ski lessons at the resort, and I had a good time. But it wasn't as though I fell in love with skiing. But what I really DO love about skiing is the great "spirit" I feel when I go to the slopes. It's a sport for the very young (little 3 year olds going down the hill with a parent guiding their skis), and also for the old (which is the category I put myself in). There are novices (like me) and many young "experts" who are flying down the runs or doing somersaults and fancy jumps off the freestyle course. It's just such a fun, exciting feeling that I love going up to the lodge whether I am skiing, reading a book in front of the roaring fire, or having a beer at the "Bierstube".

The "Pond Skim" was another fun event of the area. It's the first time I've attended, and I'll be back next year. The basic premise is skiers and snow boarders, dressed in costumes, fly down a section of the slope to a 90 foot long "pond" which has been dug out of the snow. If they "skim" across this 90 feet of very cold water, then they go onto the next round. Round 2 includes a jump before hitting the water (new in 2012). The top ten competitors, then go into round 3. First price is $1,000, plus there are prizes for the best costume and the best crash (and plenty of those to choose from!).

Got there early, as I wanted to set up my new tripod to get the best pictures with my new camera (the test run). So I'm sitting on my little stool, reading a book, and two of the competitors (Daryl and Brandon -- Ironman and American Gladiator respectively) stopped and asked me if I was the photographer for the Flathead Beacon. I was flattered that at least my equipment looked "professional". I did tell them I was going to take photo's, and they asked if I would photograph them and their two friends (a bottle or Ranier Beer and a bottle opener).

I not only took their pictures, but took most of the brave souls who tried to cross the pond. I've attached some of those below.

Best Costumes:

There was quite a variety of costumes, and these first 2 were ingenious -- and definitely NOT designed to make it across the 90 foot pond.


Shamu the Whale -- Before and After
































This is the Ranier Beer Bottle which won the "Best Costume" award. Behind the bottle cap, was an opening where the skier had a cooler of beer!! When he crashed (see below), the cap opened up, and then there were 4 cans of beer floating in the pond!












Some of the costumes that COULD make it across the pond included:




"American Gladiator" (Brandon)










"Towely"
(if you watch Southpark, you know the character), and this was the winner of the Pond Skim












"Jesus"
(there has been a big controversy about a statue of Jesus that is on the top of a local mountain, as a tribute to WW II soldiers -- so there were THREE Jesus costumes in the competition)











"Polar Bear" (yes, I know it's a stretch). This was one of the female skiers -- she didn't make it across the pond but might have gotten the prize for the "Best Crash" -- face first!














"Penguin" -- Touchdown!! (in more ways than one)













"Ironman" (Daryl) who is about to be gator food



















This was a "Panda" -- although I would have given him the prize for the smallest amount of clothing.























Now for the Best Crashes:

I thought this was one of the best crash sequences that I photographed -- It's the "Bottle Opener" which went with the "Ranier Beer Bottle".































































I'm not sure what costume this was -- but the thing to look at is he is holding A REAL SWORD!!! Flying down the slope, taking a jump, and trying to skim a pond holding a REAL SWORD!!













Two things to see in this shot -- first......he has the holder, but THE SWORD IS GONE. So now the sword is in the water. Second.....his pants are almost gone, and if he was facing the other way, I'm pretty sure I would have a butt shot!







Most competitors were drinking, but this particular competitor was very drunk when he hit the pond -- he couldn't figure how to get out of the pond. And I'm pretty sure the concealed bottle in the skunk skin was the reason why. His pants are on (almost), but as a female, I certainly appreciated this fine specimen of a man!!

The skier in the underwear and fishnet stockings was Ranier Beer man.





Needless to say.....this was a blast. Even if you are not a skier, you should put the "Pond Skim" on your calendar for 2013.

No comments: