Sunday, March 27, 2011

Bob the Dog

Last week was not the best week ever. I really needed to remind myself of why I moved to Montana. I NEEDED A TRIP TO GLACIER. And as luck would have it, I only live a half hour drive from Glacier.

It was a beautiful, sunny day, and I knew those snow capped mountains would be magnificent. And I was right. There are not many people in the park at this time of year, but you will find those folks who take snowshoe hikes (something I wanted to do, but with a broken toe – not so much), go cross country skiing, or just take in the beautiful scenery.

I drove to Lake McDonald Lodge (which is as far as the road is open), and it was wonderfully relaxing. So I thought I would walk down behind the lodge to get some clear shots of the mountains. My first steps were on snow hard enough to support me, but it wasn't long before I was sinking into snow up to my knees (and I'm fairly tall). Then I'd take another step, and down I would go. Pretty soon I was sitting on the snow wondering how I was going to get out (and looking around to make sure no one saw me). I finally managed to crawl my way to harder snow and back to my truck.

However, I do know a spot along the road where you can walk down to the lake's edge. There was a vehicle parked, but I figured they were probably out hiking. And I got a great surprise – BOB the dog (an Australian Shepard). And of course his owner. They were enjoying the day sitting on the rocks and Bob was rolling around in the snow. He also loves to be in the water (at these temperatures, I'm not sure why). His owner, Lea, was throwing rocks into the lake and Bob was bouncing through the water and leaping on them. Now he was having a great time.

I had a nice talk with Lea, who is working as a farming apprentice at a vegetable farm in Kalispell. Very interesting concept – you can buy a share in the farm, and get a box of fresh vegetables every week during the summer. An idea I might consider, since if I plant anything to eat, the deer will surely get it before me.

While I had not washed away all of my bad week......this was a very good and enjoyable start.

No comments: