Friday, December 23, 2011

2011 IN REVIEW

I was just reviewing the blogs I posted in 2011, and I came across my summary for 2010. I had listed my 2011 plans, and it seemed appropraite to update this journal on what was accomplished in 2011. Here is the summary I posted at the end of 2010:

My plans for 2011:
1. Meet my neighbors (I don't know anyone around me)
2. Join the Rotary in Bigfork to meet people and become part of that community
3. Volunteer in Glacier Park (have already sent in my application) with the hope I'll make contacts so I can get a job driving the 1936 red tour buses through the park (I would make a great tour guide)
4. Contact Flathead Valley Community College to see if there are any opportunities for a part time teaching job
5. And/or enroll in some building classes at FVCC -- I'd love to learn how to build furniture.

And here is what I accomplished on my list (sometimes documenting is not necessarily a good thing!!):

1. Meeting my neighbors: I met some very nice people at our annual neighborhood meeting, several of which I occasionally see while I'm walking or communicate with via e-mail. One of my neighbors, is the head of the Research Learning Center in Glacier, and she recommended I sign up to be a "Citizen Scientist" at Glacier Park. We do surveys (going to a specific area in the park to look for Loons, Mountain Goats, and/or Pikas) in the park, which gave me another reason to explore Glacier. The highlight of my season in Glacier was hiking with several of the park biologists on the Highline Trail -- absolutely fabulous views (see blog from September).

2. Join the Rotary: did not accomplish this, but now that I've lost Ludo, I might have more time this year.

3. Volunteer in Glacier National Park: DONE -- I did become a volunteer at the Apgar Visitor Center in Glacier. I absolutely enjoyed every single Sunday that I worked. I love talked to the visitors about what they want to see and direct them to the many great places and hikes that Glacier has to offer. All of the other volunteers and the Park Rangers were wonderful. I would still love to drive a Red Bus, but that might not be in the works for 2012. The national parks are losing funding from the federal government due to budget cuts, so actual paying jobs may go down, but they will always need volunteers.

My other volunteer work involved the horse community in Flathead Valley. I volunteered at a 4-H Horse Camp, and become the assistant dressage steward for the big Rebecca Farm *** event (know in this areas as "The Event"). I worked with some very nice people, saw several people from Georgia (judges and competitors) at the Event, and I'll be even more involved in 2012.

4. Teaching Opportunities at FVCC: I did not address this goal in 2011, and I'm not sure I will in 2012. I want to see how my life fills out after Ludo -- and they may not want the particular skill set I have in educational consulting. TBD!!!

5. Enroll in some building classes at FVCC: I did one better here -- I enrolled in an outdoor photography class which I thoroughly enjoyed and it has led me to buy a "real" camera. My instructor, Nick Fucci (Nick Fucci Photo), really helped improve my photography, and I did an additional class in November at the Triple D Game Ranch. They have many exotic and wild animals which used specifically for photography. I plan to take a 3 day class in March 2012 with Nick at Triple D where we will get to film 8 animals -- including a grizzly bear, Siberian tiger, etc. In May Nick is also doing a class through FVCC (again, at Triple D) which should focus on baby animals. And I'm going to take a class to learn "Lightroom", an editing program for my photos. I take my camera everywhere just hoping for that perfect shot.

(Two pictures from our photo shoot -- 7 month old Mountain Lion and Tundra Wolf)

As I think back, 2011 was a busy year. I spent time in Glacier volunteering both in the VC and as a Citizen Scientist, and other times just drove and spent time in the park to get that picture for my class assignment. I enjoyed working with several of the horse groups in town, and plan to do more of this in 2012. A lot of work was done on my home by the BEST contractor on earth, Drew Hoel, and still a lot more is on-going into 2012. Several of my friends (Delores, Vic, Debby) came for visits and we had a great time. Several more plan to come in 2012 and I can't wait to show them around.

The saddest event of 2011 was the loss of my horse, Ludo. As I wrote about in the previous blog, he was a great horse, and always lifted my spirits and made me smile. I've always said Ludo would be my last horse, but I do miss riding. My horse friends will totally understand that feeling. So who knows......I'm not looking for another horse, but I'm also not selling any of my equipment or my trailer.

As for 2012 -- I'll continue what I've started in Montana, and I AM going to take some ski lessons. I plan to do my first snowshoe outing on January 7 in Glacier. I think I will enjoy hiking on the snow, and I want to go back often to try my hand at "winter photography". Nick Fucci has started a photography club in Kalispell, and I will be a regular member of that group. The final work on the house (helical piers under the garage plus a retaining wall around the garage) will be finished (and I'll be much poorer). Then I'll have a great house with a fabulous view in a very nice and convenient neighborhood.

I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO 2012!!!! Hope you all have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

1 comment:

MTWaggin said...

You will LOVE LOVE LOVE going snowshoing! I started last winter and can't wait to get out this one! You certainly accomplished a lot of wonderful things this year even with the sadness. Happy Holidays!