Friday, June 12, 2009

TO THE EAST SIDE OF GLACIER PARK

June 10

It's Glacier day again, and still the "Road to the Sun" is not open. And I believe it snowed up in the high elevations over the weekend. But there is a road that goes along the lower boarder of Glacier, and it has some fantastic views of rivers and mountains. So it is a great drive.

As I was driving today, I was thinking about how Glacier and Yellowstone are alike -- and how they are different from each other. What they have in common is the rivers and the constant sound of running water. There are few places in either national park that you cannot hear water flowing over rapids, cascades, and waterfalls.

But they have many differences. Yellowstone is know for the geysers (in particular Old Faithful), and for the Bison (or as I like to call them, Buffalo). Yellowstone has so many other things, with mountains, hundreds of thousands of acres of meadows teeming with wildlife, and the many rivers and waterfalls throughout Yellowstone, including the lower and upper falls in the Yellowstone Canyon.

But with Glacier, it is all about the mountains. And the glaciers.

S0 here is some history. In 1891, George Grinnell, a journalist who came to the area to publicize the impoverished plight of the Blackfeet in the late 19th century, wrote an article about the park area for Forest and Stream, helping to spread the word about the natural wonders in the area. Grinnell, called the "father of Glacier National Park", and Clarles Pray, a Montana congressman, championed the idea of creating a national park. Glacier National Park was finally created on May 11, 1910.

The mountains in Glacier must rank as some of the most beautiful in the world. The Blacier area was called "the backbone of the world" by the Blackfoot Indians, and the "crown of the continent" by George Grinnell. They are high, steep, and carved in unusual shapes by the actions of glaciers and other agents of erosion. A prime example of this appearance is Heavy Runner Mountain (see above), which rises above the valley of St. Mary's Creek and Lake. This type of mountain is called a "horn", formed when glaciers carved away the rock on several sides.

Whether you agree or disagree with the concept of global warming, it is affecting Glacier National Park. While the Earth's climate changes naturally, the rate of warming experienced over the last century is unprecedented. And this is seen in the park. In 1850, there were an estimated 150 glaciers in the park. Today there are 25. Scientists predict the glaciers in the park will have disappeared by 2030. So if you want to see glaciers, you should consider a trip to this fabulous park.

So I am thinking about all these glorious mountains as I drive into the east entrance to the park. I'm going to an area called "Two Medicine", which I have never visited. And I am not disappointed as I drive into the area and see the huge snow covered mountains visible along the entire road. I've taken so many mountain pictures, but just can't stop -- as you can see by the beauty in these pictures.

There are a series of 3 lakes -- the Lower Two Medicine Lake, the Two Medicine Lake, and the Upper Two Medicine Lake (kind of catchy, don't you think?). Most of the lakes have been ground out by the glaciers, and they are usually very deep, very cold, and look like a bowl on the bottom. There is a north trail head (goes around the north side of the lake) to Twin Falls. I really wanted to see the falls, but it is a 3.8 mile hike ONE WAY, and I know I can make it there, but probably can't make it back. My hips just won't take that. But it is relatively flat. You can take the boat across the lake, and then it is less than a mile to the falls. But very few things in Glacier run on a schedule, and although the paper says the boat ride is available starting June 6, the big red boat is still in the storage shed at the lake. The weather really controls everything in Glacier. (NOTE: The lake in this picture is Lower Two Medicine Lake)

Instead I take the trail around the south side of Two Medicine Lake (the middle, and largest lake). And it is a beautiful hike of 1.9 miles (one way) to the Aster Park Viewpoint. It is about 1.2 miles to the Aster Falls, and most of that is fairly level, going through some beautiful meadows, wild flowers, and ponds. As I walk through those medows, I can just picture a moose with it's head in the water, pulling up the greens. (NOTE: This picture is of the middle Two Medicine Lake. I believe the mountain on the right is Rising Wolf Mountain, 9,513 ft. high; the one in the middle is Mt. Rockwell, which is 9,272 ft. high, and I really don't know what mountain is on the left -- just big and beautiful)

Getting to the falls is fairly easy, but I also want to go to the viewpoint, and it is the final .7 miles -- with about a 650 ft. elevation. This climb made the climb to Avalanche Lake seem like a cake walk. I stopped many more times to catch my breath (although I use the excuse of having to take a picture, so it doesn't look like I've stopped because I can no longer breath!). It is in the high 40's in the mountains, and I am SWEATING -- down my neck, my face, and my shirt is pitted out. The good news is that I think I am much fitter now, so while this climb left me puffing, my joints didn't really hurt. I also wore my "real" Ariat hiking boots, so my feet are in good condition after the hike. When I did get back to the truck, I was glad I had some cheese and crackers with me, as I was ravenous -- and yes, I was tired. No more walking for me today.

But as everyone says, it is worth it when you get to the top. When youa re walking down the trail, you look up at the mountains. At the Viewpoint, you feel that you are now looking at those mountains "eye-to-eye". Of course, you are not -- as most all of the mountains come close to 10,000 ft. tall. But the feeling is there, nonetheless. You are "among" the mountains and not just an observer any more. It is amazing.

And of course, the view looking down the mountain to the lake is just amazing. The lake is still and crystal clear, so you get the tall pine trees reflecting in the lake water. You can even see the alpine lodge building that is next to the parking lot. (NOTE: The picture above really is a photograph, but for some reason it doesn't really look like it. The section in the middle is the lake with all the reflections) Hopefully this gives you a feel for how high I climbed -- I was at lake level when I started.

When I got to the Viewpoint, there was a group of "young adults" sitting there having lunch and smoking joints. I'm guessing they were becoming "one" with the mountains. But what the heck -- maybe they need a drug to get the "rocky mountain high", but I find just making the climb and looking at this marvelous beauty gets me there just fine.

I've put a selection of mountain shots in the blog....it was hard keeping it down to just a few.

One of the other great attractions of the "Two Medicine" area is the Running Eagle Falls (also referred to as "Trick Falls"). This area is sacred to the Blackfeet people. The falls was named for a woman warrior, respected for her great skill in Battle. The falls area is one of the sites know to be used by "Running Eagle" for her vision quests.

And I can see why....as with many of the falls, they are beautiful. I think the reason "Trick Falls" got it's nickname is because the river flows over the ledge at the top to form the waterfall, but part of the river must go underground, as there is a second water flow which seems to come out of a cave about half way down the falls. So it is quite unique and interesting.

It was a GREAT day.....full of wonderful signs, and some great exercise. I am energized (if I wasn't so tired).

Here are a few more mountain pictures. Some of these I was actually able to identify by scouring the Internet for information.



This is Flinsch Peak (9,225 ft.), and it has such a unique shape that it is easily identified. It reminds me of the Matterhorn.















I believe this is Grizzly Mountain (9,067 ft.). This was taken from the Viewpoint, and was one of the mountains that I felt "eye-to-eye" with -- like I didn't have to look up anymore, just look across at it. Thank god I didn't have to climb that peak!











And I think this is Rising Wolf Mountain (9,513 ft.). It was taken as I was climbing up the very steep trail to the top.

No comments: