Thursday, May 21, 2009

TETONS AND YELLOWSTONE

May 15

I am going to one of my favorite places -- Yellowstone -- with a trip through the Tetons as well (and you will also note, these are the first pictures you are going to see). I think the Tetons are the most beautiful mountains out here because of the rugged, sharp peaks that always seem to be snow covered. First, I must stop at the "Bunnery" for a fabulous cinnamon roll -- Yummy. It's about 34 degrees this morning -- frosty and clean, clean air. I am struck by just how crystal clear it is today. I've found on most of my trips, the air is hazy, which is usually due to smoke from forest fires. But today it is wonderful, and I'm getting some great photos.

I talked to my brother, Dave, last night. He is finally taking a trip out west which he says he has wanted to do for 30 years. I'm going to meet Dave and his wife, Kathy, on May 28 in Yellowstone and spend a couple of days. I, of course, will be the tour guide -- been here often enough to give tours.

I'm in Montana for 6 weeks, and I'm going to spend a lot of time in Glacier National Park this year. My brother is driving from Ohio, planning on going to 8 national parks plus Vegas, and he's doing all of this in 2 weeks. This will be one of the "don't blink or you'll miss it" trips.

Dave tells me that he has rented a cabin by Yellowstone Lake, so one of my first stops in the park is to go check it out. And good news....my yearly pass I purchased last year is still good, so I get into the park for free. As I leave the Tetons and enter Yellowstone, I'm at a higher elevation, and there is snow everywhere. The first stretch of road is actually covered in ice, so I'm spinning my wheels just a bit. I'm amazed at how much snow remains in the park, but I guess this is normal. Yellowstone Lake is about 7700 feet above sea level, and the snow remains much longer.

After I see the cabins (kind of like a "hotel room in a box"), I head back towards Old Faithful. Understand, I've seen this geyser many, many times. So I'm actually going to check out the gift shops. Last year I got several great cleanance buys on shirts and was hoping to find the same thing this year. But no bargins, just regular priced clothing. And I already own many shirts with Yellowstone or Harley logos on them -- so I don't really need more.

The geyser basin is also where many of the animals winter -- there is far less snow, the meadows are in this area (and they've started growing), and the hot springs keep things warmer. And I was not disappointed. The buffalo (or Bison, as they prefer you call them in Yellowstone) were out in force. Covered by their shaggy, heavy winter coats, they were criss crossing the roads, moving over bridges to get across the rivers and into new meadows. They were truly everywhere.

I told myself I have 30-40 very good pictures of buffalo (excuse me, Bison), and I was not going to take any more pictures. But I couldn't help myself -- the camera came flying out and I started shooting. When the bison are walking right next to your truck, you just have to take their picture. And this year as I am stopped on the roadway, taking this gruff looking bison's picture, he had the nerve to "snort at me". I was hoping he didn't decide to come take a piece out of my truck. There were people in front of me in a convertible (and it's 40 degrees) -- if I were them, I would have been worried. These docile looking animals are one of the most dangerous in the West.

I didn't see too many little calves yet, so I'm guess there is still a lot of "birthin" to be done. I came to one meadow, and there were two calves playing with each other, butting heads, and jumping. Very cute.

Out of Yellowstone and up Hwy. 191 through the Gallatin Valley along the Gallatin River. Last year at this time Montana had an over abundance of snow and rain, and the rivers were just overflowing, the rapids were huge, and it was so darn beautiful. This year the rivers are pretty much normal. Still a beautiful drive up to Bozeman, where I was planning to spend the night (and another 3 hours on rentals!)

The good thing about staying in a town where you spent a month is that you know where everything is located. And I really wanted to see "Angels and Demons" with Tom Hanks, so my first stop (actually 2nd, as I stopped in an antique store to see if I could find the same rusted metal buffalo sculpture that I bought last year for my friend Delores -- didn't have it) was the movie theater. Got to the theater just as it started, and I would highly recommend this movie. It is a great thriller, and a really good movie.

No comments: