Friday, June 13, 2008

Friday, June 13 - Great Week

"Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow" Remember that song? I've been singing it most of the week, as it has been snowing for 3 days. I actually got snowed in on Wednesday -- heavy shows on the mountain, and my truck doesn't have 4 wheel drive. I really enjoy Big Sky -- guess the next time I should rent a condo at the bottom of the mountain.

This week, Monday was a GREAT DAY!! I just had a blast today. I wanted to go back to Yellowstone and make it to Lamar Valley and then go to the Canyon. I left early (had to do rentals first), and saw all sorts of animals just driving down the mountain. As always, Elk, but just before 191, there were big horn sheep. First ones that I have seen since I’ve been here. Then I’m driving down 191, and there is a young moose eating along the road (my FIFTH moose!!). I was a little leery, as I thought there might be a momma or daddy moose around. This guy wasn’t a calf, but he was more like a teenager.

Yellowstone also had snow, and to get to Lamar Valley, I have to go north and “up” a pass with a 10,000 ft. mountain. And that road was closed because of ice. So it was a “Canyon” day. Stopped at the ranger station and the store (and of course, I bought a few cute things). According to the map, there is a road along the north and south rims of the Canyon, and there are the Upper and Lower Falls on the Yellowstone River. The Lower Falls are the largest at 308 feet, while the Upper Falls are the smaller ones. And there are hiking trails along both rims. I wanted to drive the North Rim Road, as it has some very interesting overlook points. But the North Rim is closed all year to build a new road.

I stopped at the “Brink of the Upper Falls” (first picture) which takes you to several platforms that put you right next to the Upper Falls. The power and force of the falls is just amazing – the water is moving so fast and there is so much of it. It made me freeze just to look at the water, but there was one true thought – if you fell in, you were dead. No surviving these falls. I did get to walk a bit of the North Rim Trail.

So now I’m off to the South Rim. I checked with the ranger, and the hiking path is 2 miles long – one way. But I wanted to tackle it anyway. After all, I’m no wimp. Probably not in as good of shape as I was last year working with Brian, my trainer, but I can walk 4 miles (yikes).

It was just exhilarating. The forest was beautiful. When I started out, I walked through a section that was covered with fresh pine needles – the smell was amazing. And the path takes you right along the river and get to see those rapids up close. Then it is up, up, and UP. That took me to a wooden walk way far above Upper Falls with a fabulous view – and a rainbow. (picture to the side is Upper Falls from the Rim Trail & the Rainbow)

Then the path goes to the real “Yellowstone Canyon” with walls of yellow, reds, and oranges. The rock formations are amazing. And the Lower Falls. Again, at 308 feet, they are so tall -- I believe that is higher than Niagara Falls. (Picture below) After the falls, the Yellowstone River continues through the canyon. And I’m seeing it all from the top of the rim. I couldn’t stop taking pictures, because every shot was just beautiful. I also talked to a couple of rangers and several other hikers – all very nice. One slope uphill wound up the mountain and just took my breath away – seriously. I was very happy that I would be going down on the way back. There was some snow and ice on the paths in the more protected sections, so you had to be careful. I saw at least one hiker go down. (Canyon Shot below)

Then comes Artist Point. (Last picture is the Lower Falls taken from Artist Point) It is the most colorful and most amazing view of the river and falls. And then the realization that there was no bus or tram that was going to take me back to my truck, but that I had to hike back.

I believe I hiked about 5 miles today. And many things on my body hurt – like my feet, my knee, my hip, my back – need I go any further? But I wouldn’t have missed it for anything. These are the kinds of things I’ve never had a chance to do in Yellowstone before, and I am loving it.

And it was a good thing the road to Lamar Valley was closed – Yellowstone Canyon was a whole day in itself.

No comments: